Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Korean Musical


This week is a nice little break for me.
2 of the grades (1/3 of the school) are on field trips. The oldest level (grade 9) is still in school, but today they were going on a field trip to see a musical. I was invited to come along!
I was not quite sure if I would like it since it was most likely going to be in Korean. But I figured that a musical is singing and dancing and I could still enjoy that.
Turns out it was much different than I thought. The title was "The Ballerina and the B-boy." B-boy, I found out, means breakdancing-boy. It was a story about 2 different dancing groups and how in the end a ballerina and breakdancer fall in love despite their vastly different dance styles and the prejudice shown toward the ballerinas, who were deemed inferior dancers by the breakdancing group.
In the end, however, the ballerina comes to meet the breakdancers in the park wearing street clothes instead of her tutu. Finally, some snobby girls notice her and out her as the ballerina. They let her take a try at breakdancing, and it turns out she's great! She earns their respect and the love of the b-boy!
I'm not sure if it was more about love or how awesome it is to be a breakdancer! haha
The ballerinas did do an amazing job though, I was impressed with all the different kinds of dance.
The entire musical was just done with popular dancing songs (classical, hip hop, disco etc) and was entirely danced or acted with facial expressions or dancing. There was no dialogue at all really! So it was easy for any language to understand. Apparently, they've done this show around the world.




It was a great way to spend a working Tuesday. I bonded with lots of girls in the park beforehand where we ate lunch.





Tomorrow is back to work, but a slow day as the other classes are still on their trips. Thursday is when everything is back to normal! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, the universal language of love and music! :) Sound like it was an enjoyable day. Hard to find you, the teacher, in the picture. Are they wearing uniforms?
Love you!
Mom

LStew said...

dude, did you recognize me? i was the third ballerina.

JvO said...

Hey Karen! Are you going to be staying out there for another year?